United Kingdom, island country located off the northwestern coast of mainland Europe. The United Kingdom is a state made up of the historic countries of England, Wales and Scotland, as well as Northern Ireland. It is known as the home of both modern parliamentary democracy and the Industrial Revolution.
Two world wars and the end of empire diminished its role in the 20th century, and the 2016 referendum vote to leave the European Union has raised significant questions about the country’s global role.
Nonetheless, the United Kingdom remains an economic and military power with great political and cultural influence around the world.
United Kingdom in Brief:
United kingdom & Logistics:
The freight & logistics sector is a vital component of the economic health of the country with the logistics industry itself worth over USD118.3 billion to the UK economy and employing one in twelve of the United kingdom’s working people. Globally, the United Kingdom is the second largest exporter of services, after the United States. The strong growth of the automotive sector and the resilient growth of the manufacturing sector are expected to support the growth in the logistics sector.
The road freight transport operates the most extensive transport network of all the freight modes, which provides flexibility and convenience of door-to-door delivery. Road freight transport occupies major share in the inland freight transport with ~90 percent followed by rail. Although the segment registered a decreased trend during 2016-17 in international road freight, revenue has returned to its strong growth. The industry is highly competitive and fragmented. Being a developed country, UK was ranked 27th position in terms of quality of roads in a report released by world economic forum, which indicates the improvement needed in the road infrastructure. In England, government took an important step towards the next stage of road developments with the publication of report on road investment strategy 2 (RIS2). Highways England aspires to focus on smart motorway network, maintenance, and renewals, which, in turn, is expected to boost the road freight industry.
Top Imports of UK:
- Machinery including computers: US$85.9 billion (12.8% of total imports)
- Vehicles: $74.7 billion (11.2%)
- Mineral fuels including oil: $66.9 billion (10%)
- Electrical machinery, equipment: $63.5 billion (9.5%)
- Gems, precious metals: $40.1 billion (6%)
- Pharmaceuticals: $30.3 billion (4.5%)
- Plastics, plastic articles: $19.4 billion (2.9%)
- Optical, technical, medical apparatus: $18.7 billion (2.8%)
- Knit or crochet clothing, accessories: $13 billion (1.9%)
- Articles of iron or steel: $12.1 billion (1.8%)
Top Exports of UK:
- Machinery including computers: US$72.3 billion (14.8% of total exports)
- Vehicles: $54.6 billion (11.2%)
- Gems, precious metals: $47.4 billion (9.7%)
- Mineral fuels including oil: $43.7 billion (9%)
- Pharmaceuticals: $30 billion (6.2%)
- Electrical machinery, equipment: $28.8 billion (5.9%)
- Optical, technical, medical apparatus: $19.1 billion (3.9%)
- Aircraft, spacecraft: $19 billion (3.9%)
- Plastics, plastic articles: $12.3 billion (2.5%)
- Organic chemicals: $11.3 billion (2.3%)